How can I prepare my Ford electric vehicle for long-term storage?
If you plan on storing your Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) for more than 30 days, follow the recommendations below to make sure your vehicle stays in good operating condition.
- Store your vehicle in a dry, ventilated area.
- Protect from sunlight, if possible.
- If your vehicle is stored outside, it will require regular maintenance to protect against rust and damage.
- Maintain the high voltage (HV) battery state of charge at approximately 50%.
- Once achieved, disconnect the 12-volt (12V) battery to reduce system loads on the HV battery. Note: Before disconnecting, be sure to have your key fob and access to a copy of your Owner’s Manual outside of the vehicle.
- Once you have disconnected 12V power, you will not be able to lock or unlock with the key fob or Phone As A Key.
- If the vehicle is in a locked garage, it will be easiest to leave the front trunk open for easy access to the 12V battery when you return.
- If you are unable to leave the front trunk open, you will need another 12V source to get into the front trunk to reconnect the 12V battery. Follow the instructions here or refer to your Owner's Manual under the Jump Starting the Vehicle section.
- Before storing your vehicle, wash it thoroughly to remove dirt, grease, oil, tar, or mud from exterior surfaces, rear-wheel housing and the underside of front fenders.
- Periodically wash your vehicle if it is stored in an exposed location.
- Touch up exposed or primed metal to prevent rust.
- Cover chrome and stainless steel parts with a thick coat of auto wax to prevent discoloration. Re-wax as necessary when you wash your vehicle.
- Lubricate all hood, door and luggage compartment hinges, and latches with light grade oil.
- Cover interior trim to prevent fading.
- Keep all rubber parts free from oil and solvents.
Brakes & Tires
- Make sure your vehicle's brakes and parking brake release fully.
- Maintain your vehicle's recommended tire air pressure.
- Make sure all linkages, cables, levers, and pins under your vehicle are covered with grease to prevent rust.
- Try to move your vehicle at least 7.5 m (25 ft) every 15 days to lubricate working parts and prevent corrosion.
How can I prepare my Ford Electric Vehicle for short-term storage?
How do I open the front hood on my Mustang Mach-E when I have no vehicle power?
How can I maximize my electric vehicle's range during winter?