How do the automatic software updates* work on my Ford?
Software updates help ensure your SYNC®** 4 and SYNC 4A-equipped vehicle automatically receives the latest software and feature updates. These improvements include:
- SYNC updates
- Feature upgrades
- Security enhancements
- System fixes
How It Works
Software updates are downloaded and installed using an external Wi‑Fi, such as your home's Wi-Fi, or through FordPass®*** Connect (modem). For faster updates, connect your vehicle to an external Wi-Fi.
There are two types of software updates:
- Drivable - Generally, most updates will happen seamlessly in the background while you are driving. If consent or a Wi-Fi connection is required, a notification will appear on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
- Non-Drivable - Non-drivable updates require your vehicle to be turned off while updating. Most complete within minutes, while others may take longer. Luckily, any updates that may require the vehicle to be parked can be scheduled to take place when you find it most convenient, such as during the night when you are sleeping.
- If the vehicle is in use during the time of a non-drivable update, the system will not update and will automatically postpone to the next scheduled time. You will receive a notification that the update was unsuccessful.
- You can check the status of an update on your vehicle's SYNC screen or through your Ford account.
How To Get Started
- Connect your vehicle to an external Wi-Fi.
- Ensure Automatic Updates are turned on.
- Schedule a recurring update schedule.
- View your Ford's software update details.
*Feature is available on select vehicles. Features may vary based on model year, trim, options, packages, and supply availability. Use the Build and Price tool to view feature availability on current models. If you have questions or need more information, reference your Owner’s Manual or contact your Ford Dealer. Driver-assist features are supplemental and do not replace the driver’s attention, judgment, and need to control the vehicle. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for details and limitations.
**Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
***FordPass Connect, (optional on select vehicles), the FordPass App, and complimentary FordPass Connect Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected service and features depend on compatible cellular network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. FordPass Connect Service excludes Bell Wi-Fi hotspot.
At purchase, the FordPass Connect modem is connected and sending vehicle data (e.g., diagnostics) to Ford. To disable, or for more information, see in-vehicle connectivity settings. Learn more at www.ford.ca/connectedservices.